Teacher Talk Tuesday!

I am happy to participate in day 2 of Teacher Week! I probably need to take some of my own advice here, but these are the biggies:


1. You never know who is listening so keep the teacher/administration bashing for after school hours! No, I'm kidding. You should NEVER teacher/administration bash. Period. Someone always hears and no one likes a Negative Nancy. 


2. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Take it from me people. If you feel like you have too much on your plate, don't volunteer to take on more because you think you are being nice or because you think you have to. Cause that's what I always do, and it just causes me more stress! Know when to say no! (Nicely of course.) 


3. Do be prepared for all of your lessons planned for a said day. The day you are unprepared will be the day an administrator comes in to observe you. I know from experience. =) Not a cool feeling. 


4. Collaborate with your teammates instead of trying to reinvent the wheel! It will save you SOOO much time and effort. Your social life will thank you later. 


5. Give all of your kids a chance. I can't tell you how many times someone has looked at my new class roll and said, "Ohh....you got (insert name here.) That sucks," or something to that effect. You may be surprised how that student can make a different impression on you or how well you actually get along. This totally happened to me this year and my friend has been a complete sweetie and one of my favs so far! 


6. Be consistent with your classroom management and use positive reinforcement as much as you can, especially when dealing with those high flyers or red zone kids (whatever you call those little boogers in your school!) 


7. Ask for help! Don't think you are going to be Teacher Wizard and that you can wave your little wizard wand and viola, your problem is solved. It's okay. Everyone needs help sometimes. 


8. Always have an early finisher routine or activity for students to go to when they are finished. I don't have to tell you that all of your kids will work at different paces and that you will always have students who finish early! I recommend posting something on the wall so kids always know what is expected.


9. Take things one thing at a time. You will likely be doing an insane amount of Professional Development and training for different programs. Just take a breath, and take things one step at a time. Remember: You're not a Teacher Wizard! =)


10. And for heaven's sake, have a glass of wine when you get home to unwind and put your mind at ease! 


** I'm realizing that I DEFINITELY need to be taking more of my own advice....especially number 10. haha jk

7 comments:

  1. I definitely like piece of advice number 10! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! NEVER bad mouth a coworker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I agree about biting off more than you can chew. Made that mistake last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also feel like my advice was more for me than others! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I love #10. I may need to do that more often! Enjoy your year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness... give each student a chance! TOTALLY! It bugs me when teachers do that! I'm having my wine a little late tonight... I don't have students yet though either!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Teresa
    http://thevogelgesangsteaching.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. I promise I will start working on 2...next year!

    ReplyDelete

Treats for the Teacher