A for Assessment

A Crucial Week in the Life of an NQT is hosting a Linky Party for your favorite way to assess students.


Check out some of the ways I assess students!



1. Consensograms! If you know me, you know I love a good consensogram. Before and after I teach a unit, I create a chart like this to see what students know:


I also use them to assess how well an activity went. It might look like this:



2. Another favorite assessment activity I love to use is called Swatters. Oh my do my students love this game! At the end of a unit, I make a flipchart with a grid. In the grid I fill it with answers. I break the class into two teams and ask them to form two lines. Give the first person in each line a fly swatter (I know this sounds dangerous and inappropriate...don't worry, they won't be swatting each other!) Call out a question. The person in the front runs up to the board and swats the correct answer. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins. The best part is that it can be adapted for all subject areas! Here is an example:


I usually make it a 5 by 5 grid. I couldn't fit the 5th row in the picture.


For more ideas on assessments, visit the Assessment Linky Party link here.

5 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog! You have some great ideas! I don't know where I've been...but I've never heard of a consensogram. I'll definitely be using those. :)

    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a type of Quality Tool. Quality Tools are a big thing in our district. If you click on my Quality Tools label, there are more examples of some other fun Quality Tools. They are awesome and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas. I saw the swatter idea used for a vocabulary game before. It's such an active idea. I bet the kids love it!!

    Thanks for linking up! I'm a new follower!


    Baggy Trousers at A Crucial Week In The Life of an NQT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these great assessment ideas! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try them out!

    Amanda @ http://mrspierce0515.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through some other blog and I think its great! I'm from Germany, so I can't always use some of the language stuff as it is, but there are so many interesting ideas here, that I will try as soon as the new school year starts! I decided to tell you how much I like your blog today is because I realized something when you linked this blog to your other one. From the beginning I always read "Ginger Schnaps" instead of "snaps"! First I thought it a little odd for a teachers blog especially from the US but than I thought well, maybe thats her kind of humor and than I forgot all about it. My misreading is probably due to my cultural background and language and that fact, that friends of mine sometimes pronounce the german word "Schnaps" english and say "snaps". Anyhow I thought it was hilarious how long it took me to realize my mistake.

    ReplyDelete

Treats for the Teacher