Swatters

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a fabulous blog (which I can't remember the name of...oops!) and found a couple of fun games and activities to help students review for tests. Swatters was my favorite one!

Here is the procedure:

Warning: Level of Fun: Extrememly High and may cause hyperactive and overexcited children!

1) Obtain two fly swatters. Caution: Not for swatting flys or students, however tempting it may be!

2) Lay down the law! The swatting of other classmates or poor innocent flies will cause automatic elimination from the game. There is to be no pushing of other classmates or it will also result in automatic elimination.

3) Have students put the answers to certain memorization questions on flash cards or you can just project them onto your promethean or SMART board. You can use vocabulary words, test questions, or math facts.

4) Have the class line up in two parallel lines, facing the board, about 6-10 feet away. Use masking tape to mark the starting line to avoid arguments about cheating.

5) Teacher calls out a question such as, "What is 2 x 5?" The first two friends in line run to the board and swat the correct answer. Whoever hits the correct flashcard first wins their team a point and those students go to the back of the line.
6) Proceed until you run out of questions or students get bored (which is highly doubtful)!

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I have it in the plans for next week's math test review! I'm excited to try it and I'll let you know how it goes.

I will be posting more review games and activities in the coming weeks. I have some brewing around in my head, but I want to be able to have something to share with you later and not all at once!!

What kinds of fun review games or activities do you do in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I have used fly swatters with my first graders and decoding words. They LOVED it. Always a favorite game!

    ReplyDelete

Treats for the Teacher